25 Things to Do on Maui With Kids This Summer
Summer is rapidly approaching, which means 8 weeks (or more!) of “I’m BORED!” coming from the kids (or maybe even your spouse…) so I’ve put together a Summer Survival Guide of 25* things to do on Maui with Kids… (*more may be added – feel free to add your suggestions!)
Family Friendly Events
- Hit the Town – (1) Friday Town Parties – Each Friday, a different town hosts a party!
- Catch a Flick (or a dozen) – (2) Maui Film Festival – Coming up this year from June 3-7, 2015. There’s sure to be some great family movies, the schedule is usually released a couple weeks prior to the event, be sure to check back or follow the Film Festival on Facebook .
- See the Ballerinas – Over 150 dancers from (3) Alexander Academy will present Cinderella on June 6 and 7 at Seabury Hall’s new performing arts center.
- Check out the 4-H’ers – (4) Upcountry Ag Fair , June 13 & 14 at the Oskie Rice Arena in Makawao
- Horse Around Upcountry – Do NOT miss (5) Makawao’s Fourth of July Parade and Rodeo. Maui Roping Club presents the 60th annual Makawao Rodeo, July 2 – 5, 2015 – the largest rodeo in Hawai‘i with more than 350 cowboys from all over the world. Parade starts at 9am Saturday, July 4.
- Can you tell me how to get, how to get to – (6) Sesame Street at the MACC ? A must do with the toddler crew… July 24, 25 & 26
- Make some Art – (7) Hui Family Fridays (make art & eat pizza! for families with kids ages 3-12- see page 18 on linked brochure) and Free Family Fun Day on August 8 (check out page 4),
- Head under the Stars -(8) Starry Night Cinemas is a free movie under the stars at the MACC! (Date to be added when the next event scheduled, or follow the MACC on Facebook
Free / Cheap Fun
Pretend its Winter – It’s hot… but it’s still pretty cool atop (9) Haleakala… pack your jackets, fill up the thermos with hot chocolate and head up the hill. You could even sing Christmas carols if you are really feeling wacky.
- Pretend we have a Zoo – Check out the animals at the (10) Maui Humane Society! Besides the cuddly kitties and cute puppies, they have a huge tortoise and miscellaneous pocket pets. Open daily 11am – 4pm. But remember, this one is only FREE if you don’t go home with anything…
- Head Under Water – Is this the summer when you finally teach the kids (11) how to snorkel?
- Stick your Head in a Book – Check out one of the (12) many libraries around the island, or my personal favorite, head to Puunene’s Friends of the Library Bookstore – almost everything is only 25 cents!
- Get Muddy – (13) Bike Park Maui has something for all ages, from a tiny tot track to miles of dirt track and pump track for your BIGGEST kids… Don’t have a bike? They have rentals too…
- Go Strawberry Picking – (14) Kula Country Farms has transformed from a family-run farm to a family FUN farm, with strawberry picking (seasonally), animals, a children’s garden and mini-golf!
- Kid Around – There seem to ALWAYS be baby goats at the (15) Surfing Goat Dairy, and they’ve even set up a sand-toy pit, if the kids (as in children, not baby goats) just want to dig around. Its free to enter, you just need to pay if you want to go on one of the tours.
- Go on a Hunt – (16) For the island’s best Shave Ice! Make it your own family mission to sample each shave ice on island, to discover which company (and which flavor) is the absolute best! Might we suggest starting (or finishing!) with Ululani’s?
- Hit the Stream – When it’s just TOO HOT, grab your suits and head on up to the (17) Iao Stream. The chilly water will cool you down instantly! Kepaniwai Heritage Gardens- established in 1952 as a showcase for Maui’s diverse heritage with ethnic houses and gardens representing the Hawaiian, Portuguese, Japanese, Caucasian and Filipino cultures – is always a fun little activity, too.
- Check out the Farm – (18) The Lahaina Animal Farm is a sure winner with the animal-lovers (advanced reservations required.)
Take a Hike (or a bike)- Both located in cool upcountry, the (19) Olinda Forest (Waihou Springs) is fun with the little ones, or the Makawao Forest Reserve has great mountain biking for the older kids.
- Become a Nature Tracker – Grab a bucket, some water shoes and (20) explore the tide pools!
- Splash Around – When the heat of the day gets to be too much, and you don’t want to have to worry about watching the little ones at the beach or pool, just grab some suits and towels and head to the mall! (21) The Maui Mall has a great little water-play area…
- Go on a Treasure Hunt – an (22) Art treasure hunt! Who needs an art museum when you have the The Grand Wailea? Rumor has it if you ask around there’s an art ‘treasure’ hunt that you can go on…
- Pretend you are a tourist- Sure, you live on Maui, but there are tons of family friendly activities that you’ve probably not done yet, so (23) treat yourself to a stay-cation and check out a submarine or helicopter ride, or check out one of the zip-line tours! Most tours have great kama’aina discounts.
- Get a Hole-in-One – Does anything say SUMMER like some (24) mini-golf and bumper boats? Make a holiDAY of it – maybe even head to the aquarium (AGAIN! – Hard to beat that air-conditioning!) and there’s also the Kealia Boardwalk if the kids still need to run… and while you are in Ma’alaea dont forget about the ice-cream cookie sandwiches from Hula Cookies
- View the fireworks from a boat! (25) Pacific Whale Foundation will take you out on the water to watch the Fourth of July fireworks displays!
- (and your bonus activity:) Season’s Greetings from the Smith Family! Why wait until last minute again? Get a (26) jump start on your holiday portraits... check out just a few talented family photographers on this earlier post.